Brian's Employment History
Independent Training/Consultancy & Technical Writing
February 1995 onwards.
As a sole trader, this role had me travelling Europe and beyond delivering training,
troubleshooting project bottlenecks and seemingly intractable technical problems,
delivering technical talks at conferences and user group meetings, working on development
projects, mentoring developers, developing reports on systems with regard to current
status, identified problems, ways forward and background information on the problems
and solutions therein. This role involved many technologies including Delphi, COM,
DCOM, C++, .NET, C#, interop.
Contract Delphi developer/consultant, BAE Systems, Somerset
October 2013 to September 2015.
Brought in as a key Delphi technical resource for a client's scheduling project.
Used as go-to troubleshooting resource.
Regularly used as lone skunkworks developer for side projects to shore up the
integrity of the testing and continuous integration systems for this
Contract C# developer, UBS Investment Bank, London
December 2005 to April 2009.
Main developer in a splinter team building side projects off the main department
and Sybase technologies.
- Initiating RAD solutions to optimise department workflow
- Implementing a system that allows automatic UI-based testing of grid-based modules
- Assisting other teams with low-level debugging techniques on production machines
- Offering online company-wide support on .NET and database support tools
Borland International (UK) Limited
Twyford, Berkshire, May 1990 to January 1995.
Borland was a pioneer in the use of object-oriented technology and at one time was
the world's leading supplier of development tools for personal computers.
- Technical Sales Consultant, all products, May 1994 to January 1995.
- Languages Product Manager, January 1994 to May 1994.
- Developer Program Manager, October 1993 to May 1994, in parallel with above position.
- Technical Support Specialist, May 1990 to October 1993.
Contract Applications Programmer, Apr 1990-May 1990, PPG Ltd., Slough.
Designing and implementing a world-wide forecasting spreadsheet system in Microsoft
About Brian Long
Education and skills
Go back to the top of this page